Impact travel reading for insight and inspiration
Love reading about new and inspiring ways to combine your passion for travel with your heart for giving? You are in good company! Here are five key resources:
- Volunteer: A Traveller’s Guide to Making a Difference Around the World by Lonely Planet.
This guide is a comprehensive resource that is both informative and motivating to help you plan your next international impact adventure.
True Traveller’s aim is to help connect travelers with free or low fee international volunteer programs and help provide access to resources to make the trip happen.
- The Volunteer Travel’s Handbook by Shannon O’Donnell.
Author and co-founder of Grassroots Volunteering, Shannon O’Donnell provides practical advice along with her experiences, interviews and photography to help you find meaningful ways to give back via volunteering and through social enterprises and supporting sustainable tourism practices
Connects volunteers with social impact organizations around the world. Their site is packed with information about global partners, volunteer opportunities and interview highlights.
While not specifically focused on travel, this section has insightful and relevant pieces authored by a diverse range of contributors. Recent examples include:
- 32 Ways to Be A Changemaker from Alex Budak, co-founder of @startsomegood
- Doing Well By Doing Good –Interview with Annie Lennox – Singer, Songwriter, Campaigner and AIDS Activist
- Low Impact, High Quality Tourism by Marisol Mosquera of Pioneers for Change